Friday, January 8, 2016

Lone Star Dispatch Issue #3

News - Opportunities down in Florida: This news story is about the national journalism convention in Florida. It talked about what the Bowie newspaper staff, who attended this event, experienced and learned from this convention.

Quoted: Olivia Glenwinkel
Carissa Duran
Jasmine Correa
Mia Barbosa
Michael Reeves

In my opinion, the strongest quote is from Glenwinkel in the fourth paragraph: "I'm highly interested in all three of these subjects, photography and writing the most, and this convention was an opportunity to immerse myself in what love doing, " Glenwinkel said. "Going would give me an opportunity to learn new things and skills that can help me improve on the newspaper staff as well as in my own personal work. And the convention did just that."

The lead sentence didn't really make me want to keep reading. It just didn't interest me, maybe because I'd already heard about the story, I'm not really sure. The action is a good start though.

End was a quote.


Commentary - Science Fair is getting too competitive for students: This commentary story is discussing the science fair significance and requirements. Farner thinks that it's getting too competitive and should be optional.

Quoted: no quotes

Yes, I would continue reading, but only because I agree with Farner's opinion about the science fair.

End was a statement.


Student Life - Pet rescue strikes a cord with a pair of animal lovers: This Student Life story is about two juniors that volunteer at the animal rescue centers and what they do while they're there.

Quoted: Alex Reyes
Fuaad Ajaz

In my opinion, the strongest quote is from Ajaz in the last paragraph: "I know I want to work with animals neglected, malnourished, and unwanted, just thrown on the streets to die, and I like to see their transformation and see them get healthy again so they can go to their 'forever home', wherever it may be."

Yes, the lead made me want to keep reading because the topic interests me as well.

End was a quote.


Entertainment - In Review: Mockingjay Part 2: This Entertainment story is about the new Hunger Games movie that recently came out in theaters.

Quoted: no quotes

Yes, I want to keep reading because the lead sounded really cool how they described it. Too bad they spoiled the movie in the fourth paragraph. That would have stunk if I hadn't watched it yet.

End was a statement.


Athletics - College bound turns into D1 bound: This athletics story is about the 12 seniors that signed to go to their desired school to play professional sports.

Quoted: Kianna Ray
Hailey Walker
Amber Lotz

Strongest quote is from Walker: "When thinking about going to college and having to start over may be scary for most other people but I'm super excited to meet my new teammates and be part of a family."

Yes, I want to keep reading because of the lead sentence; it sounds interesting.

End was a quote.


In-Depth - Senior fights a life-long disease with no sign of a cure: Senior Katy Jacobs was diagnosed with type one diabetes, and she shares her story. This includes a description of the disease and how she deals with it.

Quoted: Katy Jacobs
Bryn Williams
Summer Hawkins
Gary Jacobs

Strongest quote from Williams: "If she an deal with diabetes all day, everyday, and go above and beyond in life, I think anything is possible for someone like me."

The lead sentence did make me want to keep reading.

Conclusion is a quote.


1. My favorite photo in this entire paper would probably be the WWII Combat Surrender picture with Senior Jake Yeager holding up the weapon. I like this mainly because of the clear simplicity of it, and how the weapon is the main focus. I'm not sure exactly, but just the position and focus is really cool.

2. My least favorite picture of this paper would probably be the College bound article picture. This is because the girls are simply posing for the picture and it's not appealing to me at all. Also, even if there isn't anything else to shoot but a posing picture, at least center the people in the picture.

3. If I were a photographer, I would probably have preferred to take pictures for the soccer article. This is because the sport has lots of action, thus leadeng to a more variety of pictures. Also I'd like to shoot for this article because I like soccer.

4. Overall, I'd rate the photography in this newspaper a 6 out of 10. All of the pictures were good enough, but could have been a little better in order to get that perfect shot that clearly expresses the article written. The strong points are probably the athletics section and possibly student life. The weakest points are the entertainment and front pages.


One story idea that I think would be good is the art contest called Vase happening in mid february. Students who submitted art pieces are traveling to go and compete against other students in a sort of convention I guess you could say. Not a lot of stories are about these kinds of electives, and it's showing a different view on student life.
A person that I think would be pretty good to write a story over is Alyssa Poole. She's the kind of person that has hobbies a little less known, including archery. I think she'd be good to show a more of an insight on student life and it's a little more out there.



No comments:

Post a Comment